Thursday, September 18, 2014

A Mother's Heart

Recently, I sent my two babies off to Kindergarten. The emotions I felt the preceding weeks were different from anything I had ever felt before- pride, sorrow, accomplishment, worry, all blended into a feeling of heaviness of heart. My children love school and I enjoy seeing life through their eyes,, but I have pondered how many times in the future I will be burdened about a change or transition or decision in my little one's lives... Many I am sure.

While in Romania, I heard a tragic story. Not too many days have passed since that I have not thought about it and tears have not come to my eyes. There is a Roma gypsy woman in one of the villages that we shall call Maria. She works hard to care for her family. Her husband is a drunk and regularly beats and rapes her. They have 11 children and Maria has not abandoned one of them! She has no education and no means to support herself or resources to help like we have in the States. She cares for her children to the best of her ability, shelters them from their father's rages and takes the brunt of it many times. She has had to watch a daughter become a child mother and then to take on the responsibility of caring for those grandchildren, even though one is handicapped.

This woman's heart has been broken so many times and yet... she is courageous! This woman is a role model for me to trust in the Lord and persevere when my "trials" come. If you think of it, please take a moment to pray for Maria today in all she faces. I am so glad to have met Maria before and that Project Hope for the Children can be a small part of her life. After eleven years of ministry, I am still amazed at how God puts people and situations in our path to help and how I can learn from them. Thank you for your part in enabling PHFTC to help!

~Mona

No comments:

Post a Comment